CACs across New Hampshire work closely with medical partners on the multidisciplinary team to provide exams for children after a disclosure or concern of abuse.
At the Greater Lakes CAC in Laconia, the CAC offers on-site, forensically-sound medical services by a specially-trained pediatric sexual assault nurse examiner (Pedi-SANE) in a child friendly exam room. Medical services are provided at no cost to children and families.
In CAC communities where the CAC does not offer on-site medical or Pedi-SANE exams, referrals are made to local medical partners for this important medical exam.
It is important to know the medical exam is not painful or invasive. The video below will help demystify the medical visit.
The pediatric sexual assault nurse examiner (Pedi-SANE) provides medical care to:
- Ensure the health and well-being of the child
- Reassure the child that everything is okay with their body
- Diagnose and treat medical conditions that may or may not be related to child abuse
- Provide video documentation of possible physical and forensic findings
- Allow for collection of evidence that may be present on the child’s body or clothing using the Pediatric Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kit
- Address any underlying medical, developmental or psychological concerns.
The medical examination also provides an opportunity for the child and family to be linked to other important services and resources. For children who lack access to consistent medical care and may have previously-undiagnosed medical conditions, the Pedi-SANE provides care and makes referrals for follow-up, as needed.
Training for Medical Professionals
Our partners at the NH Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence offer Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) training for nurses in New Hampshire interested in providing comprehensive sexual assault medical forensic examinations. For more information on training and resources contact them directly through the link below.